Cellulite is a nuisance to some and to others it’s not a problem. 

From our perspective; happy people are beautiful people, which is why it is important to point out that we do not think there is anything wrong with cellulite, however many have asked us: how do I get rid of it or minimize it?  Which is why we are sharing, some well-intentioned and overall health-promoting advice, that we hope you can use.  

Why do I get cellulite?

The Danish health magazine iForm writes: Cellulite appears because the fat in the subcutaneous tissue accumulates in small "caves" in the connective tissue between the epidermis and the muscles. The older we get, the stiffer the connective tissue becomes, and the more visible the bumps become. Cellulite is also said to be hereditary and therefore some women are predisposed to cellulite, even at an early age.

Dry brushing

At Karmameju we advocate dry brushing the skin with specially developed body dry brushes. Dry brushing is a centuries-old ritual that stimulates blood circulation, as well as the nervous and lymphatic systems. It removes dry skin, and then prevents and combats cellulite.

In a study from the University of Sunderland in England, researchers found that daily dry brushing reduced the test subjects' cellulite by an average of 26% in just 5 weeks. In the study, dry brushing gave better results than both exercise and cellulite creams. Imagine if the subjects had the dry brush for 1 year!

The researchers were surprised by the results and concluded that it had to be the daily "scrubbing around the fat depots" which caused the more uniform surface of the skin.

You can read more about why I dry brush HERE - because there are many good reasons to do so.



Exercise is healthy for a lot of reasons. Exercise promotes blood circulation in the body, it promotes the oxygenation of cells, and supports the body's own detoxification system - again an important element for a generally healthy body, as well as the prevention of cellulite.

I am a big fan of choosing the type of exercise that suits your body best! For example, I have worn joints due to my earlier days as a gymnast and on top of that, a very hypermobile body. I used to run a lot when I was younger, and unfortunately, my body is not optimal for doing sports where the body gets too many "shocks" in the joints. That is why I now only do pilates, reformer, Living Yolates, and the kind of training that strengthens the body, but without the shocks to the joints, etc. It is important for me not to damage the body more than I have already done.

Acidic & alkaline diet

If we look at the body from the inside, this is where the foundation of healthy skin begins.  It is always advantageous for the human body to be in an alkaline state rather than in an acidic state. This applies both to healthy and beautiful skin, but more importantly in the fight against disease, joint pain, fatigue symptoms, and much more.

Alkaline foods, not surprisingly, are foods such as avocado, cucumber, root vegetables, herbal teas, lentils etc. Acidic foods are, for example, coffee, sugar, beef and pork, yeast, cheese etc.

A good acid/alkaline balance in your diet is, therefore, an advantage for many good reasons, including the skin, and yes - the formation of cellulite, which occurs more easily in a body that is not in a healthy balance. I highly recommend reading up on the acid/alkaline diet for a generally healthier body.

I love that much of what we can do to counteract elements such as cellulite is health-promoting on so many other levels as well. 

I see myself as a bit of an old-fashioned peasant wife. I believe in eating a diet that still looks like when nature created it, and then "seasoned" with sweets and chips now and then - I like the 80/20 balance. 80% of the time I respect the body and the remaining 20% I please my cravings. The most important part is when you shop your foods at the grocery store! This is where we have to make the right choices - because we eat what we buy!