SELF-LOVING MASSAGE RITUAL
This ritual is inspired by the Ayurvedic self-massage Abhyanga. A head-to-toe self-massage with warm, nourishing oil that invites you to massage your body with love and patience for 20-30 minutes using a slow stroke technique to enhance well-being.
What makes ayurvedic massage so unique is the emphasis on the use of oils and focus on specific energy points in the body. In Sanskrit oil is called ‘sneha’, which can be translated to ‘love’, and snehana ‘to oil oneself’, also means ‘to love oneself’. It is said, that the effects of Abhyanga are much the same as when one is experiencing or receiving love, giving a deep feeling of warmth, strength and stability - imagine it as being an act of pure self-love to cover your body in oils.
How to do it - step by step
1. Prepare your surroundings: Find a nice, warm and peaceful place to start your massage. Heat up the room if necessary, light up some candles and put on Karmameju’s “Body Massage” playlist on low volume to set the mood.
2. Pour 1/2 cup oil in a clean, empty bottle or other container. Put it in a pot of hot water until the temperature is warm and pleasant. Heat up your hands with the bottle before you start.
3. Apply the oil on your body and the top of your head. Massage it into your scalp in slow, circular motions like you are washing your hair.
4. Continue to your face, forehead, ears, cheeks, jaws. Massage in circular motions - get inspired by our Face Yoga-videos.
5. Massage your chest and abdomen in clockwise and circular slow strokes. Massage inward along your ribs when you rub your tummy.
6. Continue to your back and butt cheeks. Massage in straight, long motions on your arms and legs. Move in circular motions on your joints. Massage back by using a downward stroke on the lower back.
7. Massage your feet, your toes and soles.
8. Relax for about 10 minutes and let the skin absorb the oil. Close your eyes and practice doing nothing. If it’s difficult, maybe use the time to wash out oil from your hair - shampoo first, then rinse with water.
9. Take a warm bath or shower. Use a gentle face cleanser and bodywash to remove the oil or let it sit on your skin for extra nourishment. Gently pat dry.
Use natural plant oils, like coconut oil or cold-pressed sesame oil, or choose Karmameju aromatherapeutic body oils to heighten your sensory experience, bringing a spa-feeling in your home. Choose between our LOVING, CALMING or ENERGIZING mood setters.
Look yourself in the mirror and connect with yourself - smile knowing you have practiced something loving for your body, mind and soul. Enjoy the radiant feeling of warmth inside you, as you go on with your day or into the night.
Positive side effects are known to include:
/ Benefits sleep, for a deeper and better sleep
/ Improves the lymphatic system and aids in detoxification
/ Softens and smoothes skin and strengthens skin tissue
/ Calms the nerves and makes you more resilient towards stress
/ Lowers blood pressure
/ Releases endorphins and oxytocin
/ Strengthens milk production for breastfeeding
/ Lubricates the joints